In most households, the humble chilli is a family favourite. Whether you like it hot and spicy or more mellow and mild, chilli is great for a quick midweek meal. Serve this recipe for 2 with rice, on top of a jacket potato (remember you’ll have to cook these first though, or get the convenient microwavable ones!) or with pittas.
You will need…
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 sachet Granose Soya Mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small can of kidney beans
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 150g basmati rice, 2 baked potatoes or 2 pitta breads
- vegetarian cheese or sour cream (optional)
What to do…
1. Rehydrate the Granose Soya Mince as directed.
2. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry gently for 5 minutes until softened.
3. Add the soya mince, mushrooms, peppers, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and spices. Bring the sauce to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions, prep your pitta pockets or pop your jackets in the microwave (or check they’re not burning in the oven!)
6. Add the drained kidney beans and simmer for another five minutes.
7. Add the black pepper to taste and serve with your choice of accompaniment.
8. Top with sour cream, cheese and tuck in!
For extra heat, try adding extra chilli powder or chilli flakes and topping with jalapeños. We also love to sprinkle crushed tortilla chips on top of our chilli for extra texture.